The digestive system in rabbits is very complexand gentle. Therefore, diarrhea in them happens often enough. And the problem is usually quite serious. If the owners do not take any measures, the animal may die.
The main causes of diarrhea
The answer to the question of how to treat diarrhea in rabbits depends primarily on the causes of the disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. Most often diarrhea in rabbits occurs as a result of:
- Incorrect feeding. Experienced rabbit breeders do not advise too sharplychange the diet of animals. New feeds in the "menu" should be introduced gradually (for about two weeks, increasing the dose). Of course, all food included in the ration of the animal must be of high quality and fresh. Do not give rotten, musty and moldy foods to rabbits. And, of course, the diet should be balanced.
- Colds. With this disease, rabbits quite often begin to vilify.
- Infections with worms. Helminths also often cause diarrhea in rabbits. The reasons in this case are a violation of the natural microflora of the intestine and the death of beneficial bacteria.
- Coccidiosis. This is quite a dangerous disease.If there is no treatment after 8-10 days, the animal will die. If the cause of diarrhea is coccidiosis, the rabbit will look very sluggish and apathetic. Most likely, he will lose his appetite.
How and how to treat diarrhea in rabbits
If the animal has diarrhea, it is worthgo to the vet. Especially if diarrhea lasts more than three days. Also be sure to watch the rabbit. At the first sign of apathy, lethargy and lack of appetite in the veterinary clinic, you must apply.
Among other things, the cell should be removedall feed except for hay, and pour a rabbit with more water. What to give rabbits from diarrhea before going to a veterinarian? A good option may be a decoction of chamomile or oak bark. If the rabbit refuses to drink them, it can be made to do this with a regular syringe with the needle removed.
Sometimes animals are also treated with the "Baytril" preparation.Injections are made in the back of the thigh of a rabbit (1-2 mg - for calves, 5 mg - for adults) for five days. However, this advice is purely advisory. It is better for the owner of a sick animal to consult a specialist.
A very good solution is to use instead ofordinary hay special purchased feed, made from medicinal herbs. In addition, experienced rabbit breeders are advised to give the diseased animal preparations containing electrolytes, which fill the body with fluids. It can be, for example, "Atsidomit". It is given 5 ml per liter of water for the first 2-3 days. And then increase the dose to 10 ml. This drug is harmless, but it is still worthwhile to consult a veterinarian about the advisability of using it.
Than to treat diarrhea in rabbits, so we withyou found out. Drugs prescribed by a doctor, as well as a decoction of chamomile often help, and the animal recovers. However, there are cases of death of animals. Therefore, it is necessary to carry out the prevention of diarrhea. In order to prevent such a disease as diarrhea, when growing rabbits it is worth following such recommendations:
- Do not give too much fruit and vegetables to the animal. In particular, it concerns beets and cabbage.
- Do not feed the rabbit stale food.
- It is not recommended to change the diet too sharply.
- Cells must be kept clean.
- Animal should create comfortable conditions of detention.
And, of course, you need to do all the necessary rabbits inoculations.
What should be the diet
In the "menu" of these cute animals with weak stomachsand intestines should include a sufficient number of foods that contain fiber. It can be hay, grass, fresh or dried brooms. This kind of food should be the basis of the rabbit's diet. Vegetables and fruits also give, but in small quantities. Especially useful for rabbits are apples and carrots. In any case, they do not cause diarrhea. In addition, in the "menu" of the animal it is necessary to include grains. Usually rabbits are fed a barley of crushed lye. Oats are also considered a very good option. But wheat is too often not recommended.
A special "menu"
Very popular with home loversAnimals also enjoy special granular fodder for rabbits. In particular, it is convenient to complete their version. In this case, you do not need to use other feeds. Such granules consist of all the necessary rabbit ingredients. They can be pressed into cereals, bran, yeast, herbal and fish meal, chalk, etc.
You can buy a regular loose balancedfeed for rabbits. In any case, do not buy too cheap a product. Such mixtures are usually not well balanced. Also, when buying food, it is worth to study its composition.
Gastrointestinal disorders often cause enoughserious diseases of rabbits. Symptoms and their treatment (most common) will be discussed below. Now let's talk about what measures should be taken when keeping rabbits to exclude infection. For the prevention of contagious diseases and the appearance of worms, the cells of rabbits must first be kept clean. Feeders should be rinsed after each feeding. The cage is cleaned and wiped daily. Once a month it should be treated with a solution of whiteness. The floor in the cage must be latticed. In this case, stool and urine will not be retained.
The animals themselves must feel in the cagescomfortable. Do not overheat during the summer period or severe overcooling in winter. To prevent catarrhal diseases, cells should be placed in such a way that they do not have drafts.
The main diseases of rabbits: symptoms and their treatment
Diarrhea in these animals can cause infections such as:
- Coccidiosis. To its attributes carry the ruffled wool,slackness and bloating, loss of appetite, yellowness of the eyelids. In this case, the answer to the question of how to treat diarrhea in rabbits can be only one - drugs prescribed by a veterinarian. Usually it is sulfadimethoxin (0.2 g per 1 kg of live weight on the first day and 0.1 g for the next 4 days) or norsulfazole (once every five days at 0.4 g per kilogram). The course of treatment with both drugs is repeated after five days.
- Stomatitis infectious. In addition to diarrhea itself, the signs of thisdiseases include the presence of sores in the tongue and excessive salivation. Treatment of this disease is most often in the lubrication of the mouth with a solution of copper sulfate (2% solution).
- Paratyphoid. Its main features include loss of appetite, lethargy, ruffled hair. In this disease, rabbits are most often treated with furazolidone (30 mg per kilogram of weight for 7 days).
There are many other causing diarrheadiseases of rabbits. Bloating, whose treatment is also necessary - a phenomenon often accompanying diarrhea in the event that the cause of the disorder is poor quality food. This phenomenon is called flatulence. Treatment in the presence of this symptom is usually in combination with activated charcoal. It is added to the food in an amount of 3-5 grams per day.
Thus, we have in general terms found out,than treat diarrhea in rabbits. However, since the causes of diarrhea may be different, it is not necessary to engage in diagnostics yourself. Determine the disease and prescribe the necessary drugs should the vet.