Repair can bring a lot of trouble to the ownerspremises. At the same time, special attention is paid to the decoration of the walls, because it affects the overall design of the room. To date, textured plaster is one of the most popular finishing materials. However, without additional processing, it may not meet expectations. For these purposes, wax is used for decorative plaster. What is it and how to apply it? Let's understand.
What is the material?
Wax for building plaster is a jelly or liquid mass that is used to apply to the surface of the plaster to give a shine and a graceful coating.
The material may differ in composition:
- The natural coating consists of real beeswax, which when applied with a thin layer gives a soft gloss to the surface.
- Wax for decorative plaster based onsynthetic components is considered the most hardy material for coating the finished surface. The nuance is that, unlike the fresh shine of beeswax, synthetic has some degree of haze, but it is considered more durable.
The coating also has color differences.Most often it is clear or slightly yellowish, but there are more saturated shades on offer. Popularity was won by golden or silvery pigments, which give the wall of aristocracy and the effect of antiquity.
Choosing the Right Wax
The correct wax should beto the requirements of the plastered surface. For example, for Venetian plaster, you need to choose a liquid coating option to create a thin protective lash. For a porous surface, on the contrary, a gel-like wax is needed, which will fill the pores and give uniformity and luster to the coating.
Properly selected and applied wax should notlie on the surface of the wall in a separate layer, ideally it only creates a slightly noticeable protective coating. Therefore, it is very important to take into consideration its choice and application, because after the work, it will be extremely difficult to change anything.
The correct finish depends on the futurethe appearance of decorative plaster, while it is important to comply with the technology, otherwise the painstaking work on its creation will go wrong. This is done as follows:
- After completing the plastering of the wall, give it sufficient time to ensure that the layer of the building material is completely dry. Usually it takes about a week.
- To apply a layer of wax for decorativeplasters use tools such as a metal or rubber spatula, as well as a special woolen glove or flannel fabric. The choice depends on the density of the wax and the personal ease of use.
- Wax is applied to the wall surface by circularmovements. It is important not to apply a lot of material to a large area of plaster, as there will be difficulties with a uniform distribution. The wax is rubbed until a characteristic luster appears.
- For a complete solidification of the substance is traditionally allocated 2-3 weeks, after which you can wipe the surface of the wall from dust.
The approximate consumption of the material is about 50-80 ml per m2.
Making wax yourself
Repair is quite expensive, so manytry to save on some of its components. How can I make wax for decorative plaster with my own hands? To do this, you need the following components:
- adhesive for non-woven wallpaper - 2 parts;
- varnish panel glossy - 1 part;
- paint with the effect of silver or gold - 0.5 part.
Preparation is as follows:
- Glue must be diluted with water according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Add lacquer to the resulting mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Then you need to add paint to color the mixture. This is not a required component of wax. It can be used if necessary to give a shade of the wall surface.
At the preparation stage it is necessary to carefullystir the glue to prevent the formation of lumps. Wax for decorative plaster with your own hands is created easily, and it should be applied with a soft spatula, so it will be better to lie on the surface of the wall.
Overview of different types of wax
To date, in any constructionSupermarket can find many types of wax for decorative plasters, the price of which varies significantly. Builders prefer to use such substances as FEIDAL Dekowachs, Cera in Pasta A, TM ELEMENT Cera Lavabile, IR-52 from "IRKOM". Reviews of this building material indicate ease of application, durability, good plaster protection, water repellent effect.
Waxing on decorative plasteris greatly facilitated by the knowledge of technology. In this case, you can create an attractive appearance of the wall surface. Textured plaster has great similarities with natural materials, such as stone, wood.
Most often use a transparent or slightlyyellow wax for the treatment of walls. However, the industry produces multi-colored finished coatings, or colors, with which you can make wax yourself for decorative plaster with a touch. Without additional coating, Venetian plaster will not have the proper effect. Therefore, for its decoration, mixtures that contain mother-of-pearl, gold or silver are chosen. Often colored wax is used to create Moroccan interior indoors or to imitate natural stone.
Sometimes during the application of the masterallow for some errors, for example, the layer is unevenly applied, so that the coating becomes opaque on any part of the wall. It is important to remember that the average time of wax hardening for decorative plaster is about 5-7 hours, after which it is very difficult to change anything. If there is still some time, you need to take a soft cloth and moisten it with a solvent, if you used synthetic wax, or with water for natural. Matter needs to wipe the coating.
If errors were noticed after the final hardening of the composition, in most cases, nothing has changed. Experienced builders recommend testing in several ways:
- with a construction hair dryer, heat the desired area and try to wash the composition with hot water;
- use solvents to remove the primer from wood;
- apply a layer of polish for ceramic granite;
- Use a disc polisher to restore gloss.
However, despite all the efforts made, the riskThe fact that nothing will change is very great, so do not neglect the technique of applying wax. You can also ask advice from more experienced builders in this business.