Icefish is not as popular as other giftsseas. But they ignored it undeservedly. With proper preparation and knowledge of how to cook icefish, it will take a worthy place in your diet. Here we show you how to best prepare it, and also offer several recipes to inspire you to creativity in the kitchen.
Where did she come from?
Icefish (it is also called proteinaceous) isA unique group of fish inhabiting Antarctica. In appearance they resemble a pike, and many call them sea pikes, although this is not entirely correct. This fish feels great in water, the temperature of which is rarely higher than +1 ... + 2 degrees Celsius. She developed various interesting physiological and biochemical changes and adaptations that allow her to survive in cold waters. Her blood contains special substances that prevent it from freezing. Its blood is colorless, because it contains little hemoglobin and erythrocytes, which cause the red color of this biological fluid. It grows slowly because of cold water, and for 15 years of life it grows to a maximum of 60 centimeters. Icefish lives in several oceans: Southern, Atlantic and Indian.
This fish contains a small amountfat (only seven percent) and a lot of protein. Its meat is dense, very tender, not fat and low-calorie (about 70 kcal per hundred grams), it contains potassium, phosphorus, fluorine, and many other useful elements and vitamins. She has almost no bones: the icy fish consists only of a ridge and has no ribs and small bones. Yes, and the ridge, because it has little calcium, is soft and edible (it is easily chewed). And, probably, the most important thing is the absence of a characteristic smell, which is not pleasant for everyone. And if you consider that she lives in the Antarctic waters, that is, in unpolluted places, it does not contain poisonous substances. Its meat tastes sweet and looks like shrimp.
Preparation of icefish
There are a lot of cooking recipes, preparing the carcass will not take long:
- Take the whole fish, cut off the head, cut the belly and remove the entrails. If you have a cat, she will be glad to them.
- After cleaning from the head, you can remove the gills and use it to cook a delicious fish broth.
- Using scissors, remove the fins from the top and bottombody fish. You can also make fillets, although so you will lose more meat than when cooking whole or pieces, the meat of the finished fish easily lags behind the bones.
How to cook icefish? Just like any other small pelagic fish like smelt.
You can without oil just rub it with salt and bakein the oven at 180 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Or roll in a whipped egg and breadcrumbs or flour, put in the oven at 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes. It is best to use flour, of course. As a seasoning, you can take special breadcrumbs with condiments or usual and separately use spices and spices to taste. A fish is necessary to ensure that its tender meat is not burned or dried during cooking. Meat of ready fish easily lags behind the ridge.
Fried fish with capers and garlic butter
- icefish (undivided);
- mashed potatoes;
- Grind, mix and heat garlic, parsley and butter in a frying pan.
- Add salt and lightly oil the mixture of oil and herbs.
- Place under the grill for 6-7 minutes, turn and hold the same amount.
- Make a mashed potatoes and add the cream, salt, pepper and capers to taste.
- Put the mashed potatoes in a pastry bag and squeeze it nicely in the center of the plate. Place the fish on top.
- fillets of icefish without bones;
- salt and pepper;
- egg yolk for binding;
Method of preparation:
- Lightly sprinkle the fillet with flour, fry in melted butter for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Mix the flour, egg and breadcrumbs, cover with this mixture the fish.
- Deep-fry at a temperature of 180 degrees Celsius for 3-4 minutes.
Ice-cream sauce (cooking recipe):
- Red pepper;
- white wine vinegar - 1 tbsp. a spoon;
- olive oil - 3 tbsp. spoons.
Red pepper very finely chop. Finely chop the onion, add olive oil, saffron, red pepper and simmer over low heat. Season to taste and add white wine vinegar.
Icefish in the oven (with mustard sauce)
Ways of cooking this type of fish are verya lot of. It can simply be cooked, baked or fried. A very interesting dish is obtained if you cook it with mustard sauce in the oven with potatoes.
- kilos of fish;
- twenty grams of mustard;
- half a kilo of potatoes;
- three tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- cream (a minimum of twenty percent of fat) - a glass;
- a couple drops of Tabasco sauce;
- a bunch of parsley;
Since icefish is brought from afar, find itit is possible in shops only in the frozen kind. Do not forget that if it is thawed and frozen again, then a significant part of the nutrients will be lost. Therefore, before you buy, pay attention to the label, where it will be indicated, where it was caught and when it was frozen.
Do not thaw the fish with hot water or microwave. It is best to do this in advance and at room temperature.
Now it needs to be cleaned and removed,Cut the fins with scissors and cut off the head. Peel and cut the potatoes into slices, place it in a greased, oiled, salt. Above put the fish. Wash and finely chop parsley, add cream, sauce and mustard. Whip with a blender or simply mix. With this mixture, pour the fish over the top and put the bake in a well-heated (up to two hundred degrees) oven. Cook for half an hour. On the table, serve hot, decorating the greens. A salad of fresh vegetables is perfect for a fish.
In a piquant sauce
- fish (eight pieces);
- 200 ml fish broth;
- sunflower oil - 4 tablespoons (table);
- 6-8 cloves of garlic;
- 4-5 branches of rosemary;
- a teaspoon of ground chili pepper;
- two tablespoons of flour;
Wash the fish, allow to dry, then rollwell in flour. Pour into the frying pan two spoons of oil, warm up and fry the fish for three minutes on each side. Transfer to a preheated dish. Now add the oil in the same frying pan, put the garlic (do not need to clean), rosemary leaves and cook for half a minute to allow the oil to absorb the aromas of spices. Fill everything with broth, stir and boil on a fairly strong fire until the sauce is boiled twice. At the end of the cooking, add chili and stir. Pour fish with this sauce and serve immediately on the table.
- icefish (800 grams - kilogram);
- salt - to taste;
- pepper - to taste.
- Prepare the fish (gut, cut off the fins and head). Then rinse it well and dry it with a napkin. Carcases should be salted and sprinkled with pepper from the outer and inner sides.
- Put it in the steamer. For cooking, only 8-10 minutes is enough. It turns out very tasty and useful. We especially recommend this recipe to those who follow the figure.
Fish with vegetables
- 4 pieces of icefish;
- 80 grams of fennel;
- 1 PC. leeks;
- one white onion;
- sunflower oil;
- paprika (powder);
- corn starch);
- lemon peel;
- parsley powder.
Wash and prepare the fish.Cut the vegetables and greens finely. In a well-heated frying pan, pour in the oil and add salt. Then put the vegetables and fry, not forgetting to stir. Combine the peel, starch, greens and paprika. Roll the icefish in this mixture. Now fry it to a mouth-watering golden color. On the plate, first put the vegetables, and then the fish, decorating it with thin slices of lemon.