How to distinguish a pigeon from a dove externally? There are certain signs on which this can be done. But first we will tell a little about the named representative of the birds.
Dove is the bird of the world. However, not everyone knows that there are a large number of its species and breeds. There are many fans of these incredible birds who are engaged in their breeding.
Taming pigeons began many centuries ago. But until now, breeders are very fond of breeding these birds. And breeders dream to get the most beautiful and incredible breeds.
Groups of pigeons
There are 4 groups to which these birds are divided:
- Decorative. Most beautiful. They look expressive, bright, have a variety of forms of feathering and coloring.
- Flight. Are allocated with abilities to flight - can overcome enough big distances and fly high enough. People engaged in breeding pigeons, trying to improve the endurance and strength of this breed.
- Postal services. One of the oldest breeds, they are now called sports. They have a large beak. In ancient times this breed was crossed with gulls.
- Meat. Also quite old breed. Large, with long necks and short wings.
Let's consider in more detail each species and find out which breeds are related to them.
First, let's talk about the wild. These include:
- The blue dove. It is named because of its color. Lives in the territories of Europe, Africa and Asia. It is similar in color to a rock pigeon. However, it differs in the color of the tail.
- Rocky. The color of the tail is lighter than that of the blue. It lives in Korea, Altai and Tibet, prefers mountainous terrain.
- Clintuch. They have a blue color, but the feathers on the neck take on a green tinge. On the tail there are black stripes, the breast is cast in red. It lives in Russia and Turkey, mainly in a warm climate. Fly away from cold areas for the winter. They live in tree hollows, they often live in park areas and forests.
- Vyakhir. This breed has large sizes and a tail of up to 15 cm in length. It differs in a bluish tinge of plumage, except for the breast - it is more green. These pigeons live mainly in Europe and Asia. The nests are in the forest zones. Adapted to temperature changes, very hardy.
- Crowned. They live in New Guinea, preference is given to the tropical climate. Legs are longer than in other breeds. Very small in size, on the head have a crest resembling a crown.
This species is grown for meat, which isproperties superior to chicken. It is saturated with useful substances, and there is more protein in it. In addition, pigeons grow faster and do not require special care. Meat products include:
- King. Very fleshy, have a strong skeleton. The breed is not adapted to flying. Color plumage brown, white or black.
- Modena. They have large dimensions. They practically do not fly because of their great weight.
- Carnot. Very quickly gain weight. They have dark shades of color.
- Roman. Meat is saturated with a lot of useful substances, grow at home quickly and are more resistant to diseases.
These pigeons are well suited for training, they have the opportunity to fly for a long time without getting tired. Some of them were once used as postal ones. By flying applies:
- The breed is Nikolayevskaya. These birds have a different flight pattern - they fly vertically in a straight line, climb very high. They have a strong body, short legs and a small neck.
- Berlin short-tailed turman. Has a small size and a short beak, the forehead is very convex, the wings hang below the tail. The breed is very numerous. Have a monophonic or motley color.
- The German monk. They fly not very high, during the flight lure other birds. On the back of the head are a hood made of feathers.
- Berlin long-billed. Very rare sight. Has an unusual appearance - the vertical position of the neck and the horizontal position of the head, which is very narrow, also have a thin beak.
They have an unusual appearance. Such pigeons are often used in various speeches:
- Barb. The eye contours are their peculiarity. Short beak and convex forehead. Color, mostly monophonic.
- The Brennian Dotish. Characterized by a straight posture and a slender body (as if drawn by a girdle). They have too bloated goiter, but go only on their fingers.
- Saxon priest. The breed is characterized by long feathers on the legs, and on the head there are just two tufts. Regardless of the color - the forehead is necessarily white.
- Peacock. Very beautiful birds, the main feature of which is a wide tail and lush feathers. That's why their tail is like a peacock. Often holders of white. Although there are other shades. Very often this breed is used in circus shows or at any celebrations.
Have the opportunity to overcome largedistance, and necessarily return back. Now this breed is used in special competitions. This breed is easy to navigate in space. This is inherited from them. Belgian belongs to the postal system. Representatives of the breed have a short tail and a broad chest. These characteristics affect their speed, which is very good and beats records among the pigeons. Their plumage is very smooth and pleasant to the touch.
How to distinguish a dove from a dove? A pair of pigeons persists throughout their life. Therefore, the nearby birds are likely to be heterosexual. So how to distinguish a pigeon from a dove externally?
There are several ways. Pay attention to the size. The female is smaller than the male, however this sign is not very significant. In addition, it can be determined only when a pair of pigeons are nearby. In addition, in some breeds the female, on the contrary, is larger.
By the difference in body parts and color
The neck of the dove is thinner, but the head is smaller. The male also has a massive neck, a wide nape and a round forehead. But his eyes are smaller and less expressive.
In color, it is very difficult to distinguish pigeons. Although if a couple is nearby, then, having looked narrowly, you can notice that the dove is darker than a dove.
How to distinguish a dove from a dove by behavior?
Pigeons form couples for life. Reproduction in these birds occurs from spring to autumn, at which time the pigeon's difference from the dove is very significant. Activity of one bird in relation to another immediately gives out a male. He inflates his chest, dissolves feathers and tail. Golubka tries to seem indifferent.
The male spins around the axis, presses the tail to the ground, raises his head high, arching his neck. Often he makes cooing sounds.
If there are two males next to each other, it is more likelyIn total, they will begin to fight, flap their wings, demonstrate militancy. Two doves in one territory exist peacefully and even communicate, well, or simply do not pay attention to each other.
Structure of the pelvic bones
How to distinguish a dove and a dove? Pay attention to the structure of the pelvic bones.
First you need to feel the bones closer to the tail. In males the distance between them is practically absent, females also have a considerable gap. However, this method is also not always reliable. Since, for some reason, the gap may be in the male, and its absence from the female itself is an indication that she has not yet laid eggs.
How to determine whether the dove or dove is in front of you? You can also try to communicate with the bird. The male, most likely, will try to bite, if you reach out your hand, the female will be more peaceful.